District 5-2 North Central
This fellowship posting is in District 5-2 North Central in Macon, Georgia. The fellow selected for this position will be an employee of Emory University’s Rollins School of Public Health for the duration of the fellowship, but will spend their time working as a level 1 epidemiologist within the North Central district. The fellow should expect to work in person, although a hybrid work schedule may become available to the fellow based on performance.
The Fellow can expect to engage in a variety of epidemiologic activities with priorities being:
- Notifiable disease case and outbreak investigation
- Surveillance system data entry, cleaning, and management
- Data analysis
In addition to regular duties, the Fellow will need to complete an oral/poster presentation and at least two required analytic, evaluation, or quality improvement projects such as:
- Assisting the primary response team with follow-up investigations on reports of COVID-19, Mpox, and other emerging health threats and communicable disease outbreaks in order to determine if they are accurate, and, if they meet the criteria to be deemed an outbreak based on current state outbreak definitions.
- Analyzing, publishing, and disseminating public health information. Potential projects (based on the fellow’s interest) could be, but may not be limited to: developing statistical reports (i.e. Child Health District Summaries), annual data summaries (i.e. quality improvement evaluations), and educational materials (i.e. awareness campaigns for public health threats).
- Taking part in public health emergency preparedness planning, training, and response with a focus on updating plans based on lessons learned from previous public health emergency responses such as COVID-19.