Emory Team: Dr. Max Lau, Dr. Ben Lopman, Dr. Kristin Nelson, Yuke Yang, Casey Siesel
GDPH Team: Dr. Laura Edison, Michael Thomas
This project aims to understand the transmission dynamics of COVID-19 in Georgia using relevant modeling techniques.
The specific goals include:
- quantifying the effectiveness of population-level interventions including shelter-in-place order,
- understanding transmission heterogeneity including super-spreading and age-specific infectiousness,
- providing up-to-date estimation of outbreak severity (summarized by the reproductive number),
- understanding transmission within facilities – specifically estimation of reproductive number and transmission patterns within nursing homes and the relationship to community transmission,
- identifying risk factors for infection among healthcare workers and
- monitoring age-specific trends in reported cases.
This set of projects will help GDPH to better understand the risk factors of transmission, impact of community and facility-level interventions and to plan for more optimal control measures.